By combining traditional evidence-based medicine with a host of preventative techniques, At Atlantic Endocrinology & Diabetes Center each patient is offered an individualized plan to optimize wellness.
Traditional Alternative Medicine. This field includes the more mainstream and accepted forms of therapy, such as acupuncture, homeopathy, and Oriental practices. These therapies have been practiced for centuries worldwide.
Some examples include:
• Alternative medicine: This describes medical systems or practices that act as a replacement trusted source for conventional medicine. An example of this would be a person using energy healing for a condition rather than mainstream treatments.
• Holistic medicine: This refers to treatment that considers a person’s health as a whole, rather than focusing on one organ or bodily system. Some types of alternative, complementary, and integrative medicine are also holistic.
Like conventional medicine, holistic therapies can address numerous different health issues. We are proud to provide personalized health care to patients who are interested in maximizing physical and mental performance as well as those who have specific medical concerns. Some of the conditions that can be addressed with a holistic approach include:
• Thyroid disease.
• Adrenal and pituitary disorders.
• Weight concerns.
• PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Many people debate whether conventional medicine is better than alternative medicine. When comparing them, it is important to consider the following:
• Scientific evidence
One of the main benefits of standard medical care is that it undergoes rigorous research. Through clinical trials and studies, scientists can determine whether certain techniques, medicines, and courses of treatment are effective and safe
Many scientists use these methods to study Alternative Medicine, too. However, the data is not always as abundant or reliable. Some types of alternative medicine, such as homeopathy, have very little scientific evidence to support them.
There are exceptions to this. Some types of alternative therapy have been well-researched by scientists, so doctors can safely recommend them to patients. Examples of this include yoga and meditation, as well as acupuncture.
At Atlantic Endocrinology & Diabetes Center we believe many people are good candidates for holistic medicine. In our office in NYC, we conduct a thorough consultation and initial examination for each person who visits. It is our intent to ensure that the diagnostic and treatment modalities we offer meet the needs of each individual seeking to improve their health and quality of life. If you’re curious about holistic medicine, contact our office to discuss your needs and goals.
For some, conventional medicine is more difficult to access than the alternative treatments available within their communities. In comparison to the U.S. healthcare system, alternative medicine may be:
• More affordable.
• More familiar, or easier to understand.
• More consistent with a person’s views or culture.
• Closer to where a person lives.
• Easier to practice independently.
These are important factors and can make alternative medicine more appealing. People who have had negative experiences of healthcare may also prefer to seek alternative options at Atlantic Endocrinology & Diabetes Center.